17 Jul, 2023
When it comes to being equipped with the right tractor, farmers must remain extra smart and assess every aspect of a tractor. Why? A tractor is the only utility that brings the most help to the farmers. Whether it's sowing seeds or carrying freshly harvested crops to the markets, a reliable tractor is going to empower a farmer by all means possible.
Secondly, an advanced and feature-rich tractor comes at a high price tag. It’s not buying a toy car. It demands huge investments. So, farmers have to make sure that they are getting the best possible model in the invested money.
However, finding the right kind of model is never too easy because of the wide range of models, diverse specifications, and an array of features that tractors offer. One such thing that can cause a dilemma for farmers is the driving systems of the tractors. Tractors are generally available in 2WD and 4WD driving systems.
Each one works differently. So, farmers need to understand the differences between 2WD and 4WD tractors.
The traditional wheel system in tractors is a 2WD system in which only two wheels of a tractor are engine-powered and the other two wheels are part of the steering system of the tractor. Mostly, the rear wheels are engine-powered and the front wheel handles the steering.
- Before you plan to buy a 2WD tractor in India, you need to know about the benefits that this tractor model offers. 2WD tractors are a great investment because:
- They are very cost-effective. As the tractor uses a less-complicated engine, their PTO is also not very advanced, and the design is uncomplicated, these tractors ask for minimal investment. Hence, they are accessible to all kinds of farmers.
- They work effectively on small land farming because of their small turning radius. Farmers can easily operate these tractors in compact spaces without any trouble.
- They are very easy to operate because their configuration and design are not at all complex.
- These tractors are designed to operate in dry farming conditions with moderately muddy farming fields because of their traction.
- While 2WD tractors are great machinery, they are not perfect and have certain limitations. For example:
- You can't use them in high-terrain areas.
- As the power is only on two wheels in 2WD tractors, the power is less and there is a chance of slippage.
- 2WD tractors will have very limited pulling capacity. So, you can’t use heavy-duty implements with these tractors.
- Because of power only in two wheels, 2WD tractors have less stability on the ground.
As mentioned above, 2WD tractors are lightweight, simple, and easy to operate, they are perfect for a wide range of farming operations such as:
- Seeding or sowing
- Fertilizer application on the ground
- Pasture topping
Farmers should go ahead and buy 2WD tractors in India when they don’t require pulling power in their tractors as 2WD tractors PTO is not that much powerful. Also, 2WD tractors are perfect for small fields and only support a bunch of implements.
So, we would recommend you buy 2WD tractors if you’re a small-scale farmer and need a tractor to take care of mundane farming tasks.
The Indian tractor industry has many options to offer if you want to buy affordable and feature 4WD tractors in India. Here is a list of the few best 2WD tractor models of 2023.
By 4WD, we mean the 4-wheel driving system in the tractor. In this tractor model, all the wheels of the tractors are powered by the tractor engine. Both the front and rear wheel systems of a 4WD tractor will have distributed power that grants increased traction and pulling abilities to them.
4WD tractors’ engines transmit power using a drivetrain system. The in-built drivetrain system is responsible for equally distributing the engine power to the front and rear axles of the tractor. This is how 4WD tractors manage to have better weight distribution and high traction. Because of this, 4WD tractors are capable of working perfectly on uneven terrains, can put heavy weight, and perform perfectly in all kinds of farming conditions.
4WD tractors generally have a strong build, powerful engines, and will have dynamic tyre movement.
If farmers decide on 4WD tractors in India then we must say that this is a great choice to make because these tractors are designed to:
- Deliver high traction and acceleration because of which these tractors will have better road holding, grip, and braking power. They are perfect to work in slippery conditions.
- Operate perfectly fine in rough terrains like rocks, ice, snow, and other situations where normal tractors fail to perform.
- Empower farmers with improved pulling capability as compared to 2WD tractors. As all the wheels will be powered-up, these tractors can pull heavy loads and support multiple implements with great ease and power.
- Handle a wide range of farming tasks like hauling, pulling, heavy-load carrying, and transportation.
- Remain stable on rugged and uneven farming fields because all of its wheels will have power and traction.
- Better grip on the ground because 4WD tractors come with wide tyres.
Despite offering unmatched capabilities, 4WD tractors are not completely flawless. They have some limitations like:
- High initial cost because a 4WD drive system requires extra mechanical components that come at a high cost. So, you need to make more investments to buy 4WD tractors in India.
- These tractors will have high complexity and maintenance because they will have more components and elements.
- Reduced manoeuvrability in tight spaces or when making sharp turns. The additional weight and size associated with the four-wheel drive system can limit agility and make them less suitable for certain farming tasks that require tight manoeuvring.
- High soil compaction as more force will be exerted on the ground.
- Higher fuel consumption as additional power is required to drive all four wheels. Also, the engine has to be more powerful to overcome the resistance.
If we understand the design and capabilities of 4WD tractors then we learn that these tractors are best for farming-related tasks like
- Crop protection
- Haulage application
- Tillage-related tasks
- Loader and Dozer Applications
So, you can buy a 4WD tractor when you need to perform all these farming tasks regularly and that too on a large area. As the turning radius of these tractors is high, you can’t use them on small pieces of land.
Because of its heavy-duty built and powerful PTO, 4WD tractors are perfect for a wide range of implements. Depending upon the model, a 4WD tractor can lift up to 2,500 Kg, which is certainly a great lifting capacity.
These tractors are perfect for farmers engaged in commercial farming, farm owners, and commercial farming houses.
In India, many leading tractor manufacturers like Mahindra & Mahindra, TAFE, Sonalika, Swaraj, John Deere, and many more offer a wide range of tractor models with 4WD systems. So, there is no dearth of options in the market. You can pick the model of your choice from the leading 4WD tractor models like:
Now that you know the basics behind 2WD and 4WD tractors and their benefits, let's do a direct comparison of 2WD and 4WD tractors so that you can make a better way. This table will help you find out which one is a better choice to make.
The 2WD tractors are cost-effective because they have simple configurations and easy engine specifications.
The price of 4WD tractors are little costlier as they will have heavy-duty engines.
With a lightweight engine, these tractors have better fuel efficiency.
As the 4WD tractor will have a heavy-weight engine, these tractors will have less fuel efficiency.
These are best used on small farms.
4WD tractors are best for large farming land.
These tractors have less pulling power with limited PTO.
With high PTO, these tractors will have high pulling power.
Suitable for small and even terrains.
Suitable for tough and uneven terrains.
Only power on two wheels.
Power in all the wheels.
TractorGyan is a platform where farmers will get updated information about the leading tractor models and details of their features. They will find every relative information of any tractor model instantly.
By connecting with us, farmers can become educated and make wise decisions.
Both 2WD and 4WD tractors have different capabilities and usability. Farmers have to choose according to their requirements and their goals. By paying attention to different factors, farmers will be able to make the right tractor for themselves.
Hop Shoots Cultivation in India – Uses & Benefits
These are Hops shoots. Hops shoots are cannabis-related plants that have green-colored cone-shaped flowers. Hops shoots were once cultivated in Himach...
Different types of tractors available in India
The farmer needs to perform various agricultural tasks like plowing, sowing, tilling the land, loading, and pulling heavy loads. For this many farming...
कृषि सिंचाई के लिए मिलेगी भारी मात्रा में सब्सिडी, जानिए क्या है पूरी प्रक्रिया
देश में आधी फीसदी से भी ज्यादा लोग कृषि पर निर्भर करते हैं. ऐसे में देश की कृषि व्यवस्था को उन्नत करने के लिए सरकार हर बार नई योजनाएं किसानों के लिए ल...
|Top 10 Tractor brands in india
|To 10 Agro Based Indutries in India
|Rabi Crops and Zaid Crops seasons in India
|Traditional and Modern Farming
|Top 9 mileage tractor in India
|Top 5 tractor tyres brands
|Top 11 agriculture states in India
|top 13 powerful tractors in india
|Tractor Subsidy in India
|Top 10 tractors under 5 Lakhs
|Top 12 agriculture tools in India
|40 Hp-50 Hp Tractors in India
Top 10 Profitable Summer Vegetables for Indian Farmers
India is a tropical country receiving abundant sunshine for long periods. Summer in India is so perf...
Dryland Farming: Importance & Techniques
The world sure moves faster than we think, but not every advancement is a boon, especially when it c...
स्वराज 744 एक्सटी: 50 HP श्रेणी में कृषि के लिए सर्वश्रेष्ठ ट्रैक्टर
स्वराज ट्रैक्टर ने बहुत से दमदार ट्रैक्टरों की पेशकश की हैं। यह कंपनी किसानों के लिए बहुत...