27 Jun, 2023
Indian farmers are lucky to have such a diverse climate that provides them with ample farming opportunities. While farmers of the Plains can cultivate grains easily, mountaineers can engage in fruit farming in India.
In this blog, we're going to explain which summer fruit farming is good for farmers and expand their earning potential and list of summer fruits to grow during summer.
India has a rich culture and diverse agriculture profile. Different states in India specialize in the production of specific fruits based on their agro-climatic conditions. Some of the leading fruits producing states include:
Mango: Mango, the King of Fruit, one of the most famous summer season fruits in India is mainly produced in states like Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Karnataka, and Telangana.
Banana: This nutrient-rich summer fruit in India is mainly cultivated in Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, and Karnataka states.
Apple: Apple is a crop that needs a cold environment for cultivation. Hence, states like Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttarakhand are perfect for their farming.
Citrus Fruits: Citrus fruit is known as one of the best summer season fruits in India. The climatic conditions of states like Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, and Karnataka are perfect for the production of citrus fruits like Orange, and Tangerine.
India has been increasing its fruit exports in recent years. According to the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), India exported fruits worth approximately 2.62 billion US dollars during the financial year 2020-2021. Some of the major exported Indian summer fruits include mangoes, bananas, grapes, pomegranates, and citrus fruits.
Fruits available in summer, winter, and monsoon have huge demand in the domestic market as well. The total fruit production in India during the fiscal year 2019-2020 was approximately 102.08 million metric tons.
These statistics confirm one fact: fruit farming in India is a lucrative business for farmers and it can help them grow twofold. Here are a few benefits of starting this business.
- India is a diverse agro-climatic zones that allow for the cultivation of various variety of fruits. From summer season fruits like mangoes, bananas, and citrus fruits to temperate fruits like apples, pears, and cherries, farmers can choose crops that are well-suited to their specific regions and climatic conditions.
- Fruit crops often have longer harvesting periods compared to other crops. This allows for a staggered harvest, ensuring a continuous income stream for farmers throughout the year. Additionally, fruits available in summer can be stored or processed into value-added products to extend their shelf life and marketability.
- Fruit farming opens up opportunities for value addition. Farmers can process fruits into various products such as jams, jellies, juices, dried fruits, and preserves. Value addition helps in increasing the shelf life of produce, creating additional income streams, and expanding market opportunities.
- You get enough support for irrigation systems, orchard development, cold storage facilities, and crop insurance from the government.
If you're interested in starting fruit farming in India, here is the list of summer fruits name. Start cultivating these Indian summer fruits and make an impressive profit as they have a huge demand across India during summer.
Undoubtedly, mango is the King of Fruits" during summer in India. This is one of the most popular and profitable fruit crops in India. As this summer season fruit is available in multiple varieties, farmers have the flexibility to choose the ones that are well-suited to their specific region.
Mangoes fetch a good price in both domestic and international markets, making them the best summer fruit for farmers to grow.
Guava fruit is another Indian summer fruit that has a huge demand in and outside India. Indian farmers can pick this fruit as it demands low maintenance and can adapt to different soil conditions. With proper care and pruning, farmers can achieve high yields. Additionally, guava fruit farming offers the advantage of extended harvesting periods, as some varieties bear fruit throughout the year.
Next on the list of summer fruit is Pomegranates, which have gained popularity in recent years due to their health benefits and versatility. This is why this summer season fruits have huge demand all around the year. This crop thrives in semi-arid regions with well-drained soil. Pomegranate farming offers attractive returns, especially for export markets. By focusing on quality and branding, farmers can tap into the growing demand for pomegranate products in the domestic and international markets.
If you're a small and marginal farmer then go ahead and start papaya farming. This summer fruit has a short gestation period, allowing for quick returns on investment. Papaya trees are relatively easy to grow and adapt to various climatic conditions.
Litchi is a tropical summer fruit with a unique flavor and offers great economic prospects for Indian farmers. It thrives in regions with a cool winter season followed by a hot summer. Litchi trees require well-drained soil and regular irrigation. Although litchi cultivation requires patience and attention to detail, it can be highly profitable.
Apart from this list of top 5 summer fruits, some other fruits grown in summer season are watermelon, muskmelon, kiwi, orange, plums, etc.
Want to make sure that your harvest of Indian summer fruits is bountiful and of the best quality? Keep these things in mind.
- Ensure that the summer fruit varieties you choose are suitable for the local climate and can thrive in the hot summer conditions of India.
- Understand the fact that summer fruits in India need an adequate water supply due to high temperatures. Consider using drip irrigation or mulching techniques to conserve water and reduce evaporation.
- No matter in which region you stay, you should prepare the soil well. You should add organic matter such as compost or well-rotted manure so that soil fertility and moisture retention are better.
- Most summer fruits in India need full sunlight to grow and ripen properly. Choose a location that receives maximum sunlight throughout the day to promote healthy fruit development.
- Implement appropriate pest and disease control measures to protect your summer fruit plants. Regularly monitor for common pests, such as aphids or fruit flies, and take necessary preventive or curative actions.
- Make sure you're pruning the crop on time as it helps in controlling plant size, improving air circulation, and power-up the fruit production.
- Summer Fruits in India need adequate pollination and farmers need to use measures to attract pollinators like bees or butterflies.
- Use a balanced fertilizer or follow specific guidelines for each summer season fruit variety.
The cultivation of profitable summer season fruit crops presents a promising opportunity for Indian farmers to increase their income and achieve agricultural success. As we mentioned, farming mangoes, guava, pomegranate, papaya, and litchi offer a diverse range of options, each with its own unique characteristics and market potential.
However, farmers need to understand that fruits grown in the summer season in India require proper planning, farm management techniques, and adherence to quality standards.
Experts at Tractor Gyan recommend conducting thorough market research, assessing their region's suitability, and seeking guidance from agricultural experts or government agencies to make informed decisions. This way, Indian farmers will be able to have profitable crops during this and many more summers to come.
People also search for:- fruits to eat in summer, Best summer season fruits name, and fruit available in summer.
Tractor Gyan is an expert-led platform that aims to empower Indian farmers by providing accurate and timely information, and technological advancement about tractors and farm equipment in India.
TractorGyan helps farmers with New Tractor information, Compare Tractors, Tractor prices, Buying and selling of second-hand tractors, Tractor Insurance, Tractor Finance, Tractor tyre, Tractor Implements, Tractor EMI calculator, and more.
On our Platform, we have information about leading brands :
- In Tyres like MRF, Ceat, Apollo etc.
- In Tractor Finance like Mahindra Finance, TVS Finance, Etc.
- In Tractor Implements like Shaktiman, Fieldking, Landforce, Khedut, etc.
- In Tractor Insurance like Mahindra Finance, Axis Bank, ICICI Bank, etc.
TractorGyan is Helping India mechanize by delivering crucial information about tractor buying and guiding farmers at every step so that they get a tractor or farm equipment that empowers and equips them to produce quality yield.
घर पर कैसे गेहूं को कीड़ों से बचाएं, अनाज भंडारण के कुछ अचूक उपाय!
फसल पकने के बाद भी किसानों के सामने अनेक समस्याएं रहती है। जैसे समय पर कटाई, उचित मशीनों का प्रयोग, सही जगह फसलों का भंडारण तथा फसलों को कीटो से बचाना...
Buy Best Second-Hand Tractors Under 1 Lakh in India
To trim down your struggle of buying a second-hand tractor, Tractor Gyan has come up with a list of the best second-hand tractors under 1 Lakh in Indi...
CRDI Tractor Engine: Working, Benefits and Top Tractor Models with CRDI Engine
What is CRDI Diesel Engine Technology? Discover the Meaning, Working, and Amazing Benefits! Get to Know the Top Tractor Models with CRDI Engine Techno...
|Top 10 Tractor brands in india||To 10 Agro Based Indutries in India|
|Rabi Crops and Zaid Crops seasons in India||Commercial Farming|
|DBT agriculture||Traditional and Modern Farming|
|Top 9 mileage tractor in India||Top 5 tractor tyres brands|
|Top 11 agriculture states in India||top 13 powerful tractors in india|
|Tractor Subsidy in India||Top 10 tractors under 5 Lakhs|
|Top 12 agriculture tools in India||40 Hp-50 Hp Tractors in India|
Escorts Kubota Limited Sells 10,861 Tractors in September 2023, Despite 11.2% YoY Decline
Faridabad, October 3rd, 2023: Escorts Kubota Limited Agri Machinery Business Division in September 2...
एस्कॉर्ट्स कुबोटा लिमिटेड की सितम्बर'23 में ट्रैक्टर सेल्स में 11.2% की गिरावट, 10,861 ट्रैक्टर बेचे
एस्कॉर्ट्स्स कुबोटा लिमिटेड एग्री मशीनरी बिजनेस डिवीजन ने हाल ही में सितम्बर 2023 में हुई कुल ट्रैक्...
Best 55 HP Tractor in India: Solis 5515 E 4WD with Optimal Mileage, Performance & Power
Solis Yanmar is not an ordinary tractor manufacturer in India. It's the first choice of India...