Tractors Answers

Home| Tractors Question| What are the common farm equipment injuries?

What are the common farm equipment injuries?

24-Dec-2020 |  Asked by: Pavan

All Answers:


What Are Farming Equipment Injuries?
Farming is the occupation of more than 40% population still it is one of the most dangerous industries to work in. Farming equipment accidents are one of the leading causes of injury and death among farms and farmworkers. Typically, equipment-related accidents are due to:
• Farm tractor rollovers
• Tractors running over farmworkers
• Getting caught in running machinery
• Equipment collisions
• Being struck by falling machinery parts
• Contact with power lines
• A farm equipment company does not put adequate warnings on its products.
• A farm employer does not properly train workers to use the farm equipment.
• A farm employer does not discontinue the use of a broken or faulty piece of equipment.
Types of Farming Equipment Injuries
Farm equipment that could be dangerous or deadly includes:
Tractor rollovers are the most common cause of farming accident injuries and death, while the second most common cause is tractors running over farmworkers. In many of these accidents, the farmworker fell off of the running tractor and was then run over by the tractor.
A brush hog is a type of mower that attaches to a tractor with a hitch. Brush hogs have rotary blades that are thick and extremely powerful, making it easy to cut through dense brush and avoid stopping on any sort of impact. Because these machines are powerful and fail to stop on impact, they can be both dangerous and deadly for farmworkers.
Brush hog injuries and deaths are typically caused by the machine becoming unstable and tipping over, debris and stones flying from the machine, the operator falling off the tractor and into the brush hog, and the weight of the machine crushing the farmer.
Hay rakes are agricultural rakes used to collect and cut hay or straw into windrows for later collection. In addition, they are also used to fluff up and turn over the hay for it to dry, to protect the hay from the morning dew, and to spread the hay again. Closely related, hay balers are tractor accessories that tie and bundle hay into bales.
A grain bin is a vented, steel structure used to store grain in bulk. Closely related, a drain auger is a long tube used to raise and transport grain from the ground to grain bins, load trucks with grain from the grain bins, and carry feed to feeders.
What to Do If You’ve Been Injured by Farming Equipment
If you have been injured by farming equipment, you should:
• Disable the farm equipment
• Seek medical attention and evaluation
• Gather evidence at the scene of the accident
• Contact a personal injury lawyer
• Proper clothing
• PTOs safety Tips
• Always hitch to the rear hitch points on a tractor and be extremely careful on inclined surfaces.
• DO NOT allow extra riders.
• Make sure everyone has had proper training when operating a piece of machinery.
• Read all the operator manuals and become familiar with the equipment before operating.
• Always wear your safety belt in equipment that has a ROPS structure.
• Never dismount the tractor while the engine is running.
• Lower hydraulic equipment before dismounting or finishing for the day.
• Be aware of your surroundings. Watch for holes, ditches, narrow bridges, and for others that may be working around the equipment.

   30-Dec-2020 |   Answer by: Ram

Write Your Answers

Select Language

tractorgyan offeringsTractorGyan Offerings